It is sometimes a bit overwhelming to take on a new product, not knowing how to most efficiently use it.
The workflow below is an example of how Routine can be used to (i) reduce context switching (ii) stay focused on what matters (iii) save all thoughts, ideas and tasks going through your mind and (iv) organize long-term information to act upon at a later time.
💾 Capture Everything
As advocated by David Allen in his famous book Getting Things Done, anything on your mind is a blocker to your focus. David Allen therefore advises to get those things out of your mind quickly for those to be processed/reconsidered/categorized later.
Routine has been designed with that philosophy in mind, allowing you to capture a thought, idea or task in a fraction of a second.
- Open the through theDashboard
- Type something you want to remember for later
- This action will create a task that will be saved in your inbox
Because the dashboard can be opened anywhere on your desktop, it is the ideal way to get something out of your mind without context switching so that you can get back to what you were focusing on as quickly as possible.
📥 Process Inbox
All the tasks that you create are, by default, saved in your inbox. You should process your inbox of tasks the same way you manage your email inbox.
From time to time, go through your inbox and process every item until you reach Inbox Zero.
The most effective process, sometimes referred to as the 2-minute rule, has been widely covered throughout the years by productivity experts.
For every item in your inbox:
- 🧽 If the task is no longer relevant, archive it (
- ✅ If the task takes less than 2 minutes to perform, do it right away and mark it as done (
- 📅 If the task needs time, schedule it (
⌘S) for a day for you to work on
- 🔄 Repeat this process until you reach Inbox Zero
The Today screen has been designed for you to focus on what matters right now: the tasks you set for yourself and the events taking place during the day.
At the beginning of the day, we advise to follow this simple system:
- Check your agenda on the right to see how much time you will have to work on additional tasks
- Based on your availability, pick 1-3 important tasks you absolutely want to get done
- Allocate time for those to make sure you will dedicate the attention they deserve; see Block time for important tasks
- Reschedule all the other tasks to another day e.g tomorrow
The Today view allows for you to focus on what matters. However, you are sometimes working on something and the simple fact of switching to the Routine app to check your list of tasks for the day or when is your next meeting can feel like a waste of time.
^⎵ hotkey and get access to the most important productivity information you need: the list of your tasks for the day and the upcoming events.
📚 Organize Information
Routine allows you to go a step further and save and organize information contextually. Being a task that needs more information in the form of a description or notes that are taken during a meeting, Routine organizes everything automatically and through the same mechanism.
But even more, those notes can embed checkboxes that represent full-fledged tasks that can be opened, scheduled, archived etc. as any other task in Routine.
For more information, please read
Send us a message by email, chat (see